FAN CREATION POLICY FOR DUAL WIELD STUDIO LICENSED IP
The following policy applies to all Dual Wield Studio licensed IP partners except Innersloth (Among Us, Henry Stickmin). For the Innersloth-specific licensed IP policy, please refer here.
We’re so thrilled that so many creators have been so excited to show their love by creating fan works. We also know people are really excited to get their hands on merch for properties like the Tamora Pierce universe, so we’ve partnered with them and others, helping them work with creators and get merchandise to you, the fans.
We know many of you have wanted to make sure that you’re buying your merch from official sources and that the team gets your support. Thank you so much for that! Buying licensed merchandise ensures that your money goes towards supporting the developers that help create the fandoms you love.
Because there’s been so much excitement (and some confusion too), we want to take a minute to get everyone on the same page regarding fanart, fan works, and other items created based on Dual Wield Studio licensed properties like the Tamora Pierce and Iron Widow universes.
1. We ask if you create something based on Dual Wield Studio partner properties, please do not sell it yourself. If you’re hand-making items and sharing them with friends or posting about them on the internet, that’s okay!! But please don’t sell them yourself. We are working on a method to allow fans to sell their merchandise in conjunction with us, so if that’s you: please read on!
3. Please do not vectorize, trace, or otherwise reproduce Dual Wield Studio marketing, branding and other assets to use in your items or marketing, branding, or other assets of our partners. (This includes our logos, fonts, or anything that could make it confusing for fans who would see your work and could mistake it for official.)
4. Please do not use title or studio names in conjunction with the items you share. Here are some examples:
- OK: [Image of fanart you drew, tweeted with the text “Check out this fanart for Tamora Pierce, featuring my friends as the characters!”
- NOT OK: [Image of fanart you drew, with the Tamora Pierce logo centered on it.]
- NOT OK: [Image of fanart you drew, with “Tortall, by Tamora Pierce”] This makes it unclear.
We wanted to create this policy to protect you, ourselves, and our intellectual property. All intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights and trademarks, are expressly reserved to their respective owners. Part of preserving our intellectual property rights requires us to monitor third-party usages, and to not allow licensing without quality controls, so we really appreciate your patience and understanding.
Portions of this policy may change over time, but for now, we really appreciate your support for our efforts to make quality, ethically-created merchandise! It’s been amazing seeing what you’ve created so far, and we can’t wait to see what we can do together.
If you’d like to work with us, you can follow one of these links to learn more: